Let’s have our next Poetry Club meeting Saturday, March 17, at 1 pm, in the Writing Center.
It seems like a good time to restart our face-to-face WCC Poetry Club meetings.
If you’ve come before, I hope you can make it.
If you’ve never attended a Poetry Club meeting, here’s a typical agenda:
- News and updates.
- Workshopping of any poems that people bring in for suggestions.
- Reading/discussion of recent poems by established national and international poets.
- A freewrite, followed by optional reading of what you’ve written.
- The meetings usually last for 90 minutes or so, but people come and go as they please.
If you have any questions, email me: email@example.com
Hope to see you Saturday, February 10, at 1 p.m., in the Writing Center.
The WCC Poetry Club is teaming up with WCC’s Bailey Library to create an anthology entitled The Journey, which will feature poetry, short prose (500 words or less), and visual art from WCC students, faculty, staff, and alumni. The theme of the anthology is “the journey”–whatever that might mean to you.
We’re open to submissions now. Email them to me, Tom Zimmerman: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: March 15, 2018.
Accepted works may also be eligible for publication in The Huron River Review.
On April 4, for National Poetry Month,we will have a publication party/reading for The Journey in the Bailey Library.
This semester, the WCC Poetry Club will be a web space primarily. It will feature the following:
- Weekly Reading: Links to poems or other items of interest to poets and writers.
- Weekly Prompt: A writing prompt that might trigger some interesting new writing.
- Workshop: A blog-like homepage that will feature a poem or piece of short prose (by a Poetry Club member or by Washtenaw Community College students, faculty, staff, or alumni) that people can comment on. In other words, it will be a kind of online writers’ workshop. (Tom Zimmerman will approve all comments before they appear on the site.)
- We do plan to continue to publish chapbook anthologies and host open-mic readings.